It's no secret that salt and citrus pair well together. That's why we've teamed up with Napa-based aperitif company, Mommenpop, to bring you a few tips and applications for how to include salt in some of your favorite cocktails (hint: not just on the rim!).
1. Why do you use salt in drinks? How much?
I use salt to balance a cocktail and make citrus and botanicals shine. Generally, a couple of flakes is enough.
2. Is there any time when you wouldn't use salt in a drink?
I use salt in most cocktails, again a couple of flakes is enough. I use it less in stirred cocktails but something like a mezcal Negroni benefits significantly from a pinch of sea salt.
3. What are a few of your cocktail recipes that benefit from adding a little salt?
4. Are there any specific ingredients that really shine when mingled with a bit of salt?
All of them! Chocolate, pineapple, watermelon, berries, and especially citrus-- salt heightens their flavors. Try Mommenpop Seville Orange in a Reverse Margarita with a JSC Lemon Zest Salt rim to see what we mean.
5. What is the real difference in the flavor/drinking experience between putting salt on the rim and putting it into the drink itself?
Salt in the cocktail helps create a perfect balance, whereas salt on the rim is for anyone that wants that saline kick, such as with a margarita.
6. How do you decide whether to do a full rim or a half rim?
I generally do a half rim so that any guest not wanting a salt rim can drink from the unsalted side.
7. What kind of salt is best in drinks? Best on the rim?
Get 15% Mommenpop by clicking here!