We love contemporary twists on classics (did we cry at A Star is Born? You’ll have to check our tissue box to know for sure) and wanted to feature a cocktail that celebrates the past while also feeling of the moment. The Hoxton's basement bar, 2NW5, boasts such a cocktail on their menu, and their beverage director, Brett Adams shared his recipe with us. Enjoy the Safer than Water, a riff on an Old Fashioned featuring Jacobsen Co.’s Raw Carrot Flower Honey , either at home or at this cozy Portland spot.
- 2 ounces Westward Single Malt Whiskey
- ¼ ounce Jacobsen Co. Raw Carrot Flower Honey
- Barspoon Pivon Rojo Vermouth
- Barspoon creme de cacao
- Dash Portland Bitters Project Orange Bitters
- Dash Portland Bitters Project Pitch Black Chocolate Bitters
- 2 drops Jacobsen Kosher Salt saline (80g water, 20g Kosher Salt)
- Orange twist
- In a mixing glass containing ice, add honey, vermouth, cacao, bitters and whiskey over ice and stir until blended with a bar spoon.
- Add 2 drops of saline and stir once more.
- Strain over ice into a rocks glass.
- Garnish with orange and enjoy.