Director of Operations
Founded in 2011, Jacobsen Salt Co. is the first company to harvest salt in the Pacific Northwest since the 1800s. Since then it has transformed from a local, small business to a nationally recognized brand as America’s leading salt maker. Harvested from the cold, pristine waters of Netarts Bay on the Oregon Coast, our flake and kosher sea salts have garnered worldwide favor for their beautiful presentation and pure taste by professional chefs and home cooks alike.
Director of Operations
Jacobsen Salt Co. seeks a full-time Director of Operations to oversee product production, sourcing, and development, order fulfillment and distribution, supply chain management, and inventory planning. This position requires an ambitious, flexible, and even-keeled doer who will work interdepartmentally to ensure that company-wide operational goals are met and initiatives achieved. This position will be expected to evaluate production and distribution functionality and efficacy, drive performance, and ensure Operations team satisfaction and success.
Primary functions include:
- Own daily business activities and operations, providing thoughtful, reliable leadership and direction to Production and Fulfillment teams located in Portland and Netarts, OR.
- Identify business needs, develop and set KPIs, and motivate teams to achieve and sustain goals.
- Inspire and implement both macro and micro process improvements to ensure consistent execution and nimble prioritization, facilitate growth, and strengthen systems.
- Work closely with the leadership team to develop annual operational and budgetary plans, and strategies to organize around and align to those plans.
- Oversee production and demand planning. Work closely with Portland Operations Manager to ensure continuity of production, and consistent and timely order fulfillment.
- Work collaboratively to create Production/Operations staffing plan. Drive hiring and recruitment, and contribute to team appreciation and retention efforts. Motivate, evaluate, train, and coach to meaningfully impact team satisfaction and accountability.
- Ensure staffing meets the needs of the business and is responsive to seasonal fluctuations.
- Oversee salt production. Work closely with Coast Operations Manager to facilitate and improve production capacity, tracking and reporting of yields, and custom equipment development and maintenance.
- Oversee and monitor purchasing and inventory management. Work with Inventory, Procurement and Accounting staff to create, organize, and reliably track inventory items and finished goods.
- Establish and maintain third party vendor relationships, including but not limited to copackers, packaging vendors, ingredient suppliers, and domestic and international freight service providers.
- Ensure all purchasing is based on sound, efficient, and ethical supplier evaluation.
- Oversee pricing model strategy with a focus on COGs reduction and margin improvement opportunities.
- Consult regularly with Director of Sales on progress to sales strategy and apply specific channel profitability considerations to demand planning and production scheduling.
- Collaborate with Sales and Marketing teams on research, product development, and bring-to-market strategy for new products. Support ongoing product management, including SKU modifications and improvements.
- Coordinate with Customer Service and Sales teams for product specification sheets, customer COAs, product certifications, ingredient analysis requests, and approved vendor certifications.
- Maintain and expand food manufacturing facilities’ food safety and quality control systems. Identify areas of potential risk, and rollout strategies and procedures to ensure compliance.
- Report monthly/quarterly to CEO and board of directors on current projects and operational initiatives.
- Be a practitioner of and leader in advancing Jacobsen's values, mission, and Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Pillars of Community, Voice, and Environment with all stakeholders. Be a positive, engaged Jacobsen ambassador.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
The ideal candidate is:
- A team-oriented leader with 5-10+ years of diversified experience in operations management, ideally in food production at a small-medium organization
- A lifelong learner with a thorough understanding of business theories and practices, and a Bachelor’s or Master's degree in a related field
- A Preventive Controls Qualified Individual (PCQI) or a certified Lean Practitioner (preferred) or holder of related applicable operational, business, or safety certifications
- An outstanding people manager, who is comfortable problem-solving and decision-making collaboratively
- Someone with superb quantitative and analytical skills, and a curious, solution-driven approach to work
- Clear and articulate in all forms of communication (including verbal and written), with excellent presentation skills
- Extremely proficient in Microsoft Office, familiar with Google Suite and Quickbooks (preferred)
- An proactive project manager with strong organization and prioritization skills
- Someone with excellent time management skills, who can maintain a high level of accuracy in a fastpaced environment
- Adaptable in a dynamic and evolving highgrowth business, with a demonstrated record of ability to perform under pressure
- A champion of Jacobsen’s ideals of integrity and inclusivity, both in the workplace and in the community
Essential physical functions:
- Fully capable of lifting 20-50 lbs (frequent) and 50-70 lbs (rarely)
- Able to both stand and sit for several hours at a time (daily tasks may include walking or standing for long periods, but also requires dedicated computer work)
Typical weekly schedule:
- This is a fulltime, exempt position.
- This in-person role primarily works within business hours of 8:30AM 5:00PM, Monday-Friday, from Jacobsen HQ in SE Portland, OR. There is potential for variable work days as determined by business needs. Position requires occasional travel.
The starting annual salary range for this position will be between $70,000 and $110,000, commensurate with experience, knowledge, and qualifications. Benefits include paid time off and paid company holidays, as well as eligibility for health/dental/vision benefits after 60 days and 401(k) after one year.
Jacobsen Salt Co. is an equal opportunity employer. We believe in the value that diversity brings to an organization. As a community, we are committed to creating a workplace where learning is a key principle. We look for collaborative and resourceful team players who believe in our mission to inspire people to cook, eat, and live well.
Please send your resume and a cover letter to email@example.com with your first name, last name and the job title in the subject line. Example: Jane Doe – Director of Operations. We are looking to fill this position in four-six weeks, and it will remain open until filled.