Retail and Events Manager
Jacobsen Salt Co. is seeking a personable and ambitious Retail and Events Manager to join our team. Our ideal candidate will be a highly organized and confident leader, with a passion for providing outstanding customer service. This position is based in Portland, but oversees retail sales in multiple locations, including the Portland Tasting Room, Netarts Bay Gift Shop, and markets around the Pacific NW, as well as being the engine behind venue rental sales at both properties. Excellent people skills are a must as s/he will be managing a team, as well as working with clients and vendors directly. The candidate must be able to work effectively within time limits to coordinate, resource, and oversee daily operations in all channels. The abilities to multitask and “roll up your sleeves” are essential, as Jacobsen Salt Co. is still a small company in many regards - all employees wear a variety of hats!
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Ability to see the “big picture,” maturely and effectively represent the Jacobsen brand, and meet growth objectives in all channels
- Comfort with all aspects of day-to-day retail management, including scheduling, inventory planning, cash handling, merchandising, telling the brand story, etc.
- Supervision and execution of end-to-end event details, from concept through facilities management, staffing, vendor logistics, equipment rental, promotional material, etc.
- Budget building, including labor cost analysis and event sales margin control
- Maintaining and overseeing compliance with all regulatory bodies [city, county, etc], including generating and submitting regular events permit applications, renewing OLCC retail sales license, and revising contracts
- Committed adherence to all company principals, as well as all insurance, legal, health, and safety obligations
- Providing clear, comprehensive periodic reports and metrics to directors
- Able to articulately propose ideas to improve services, motivate staff and ensure event quality
- Enthusiasm for collaborative interdepartmental work; most frequently with E-Commerce and Marketing, but including regular engagement with Wholesale Sales, Production, Finance, and Distribution
- Consistently bringing a proactive and positive approach to handling issues and troubleshooting any challenges ‘on your feet’
- Proficiency in follow-through, including research skills to identify opportunities, analytics to understand the market, and marketing creativity to generate interest
Requirements and Qualifications
- Four-year college degree required
- Significant work experience in sales, or as an events planner or organizer
- Excellent time management and communication skills, both verbal and written
- Ability to oversee and direct multiple projects independently in a dynamic workplace
- Schedule flexibility is a must, including nights and weekends
- Demonstrated experience developing sales strategies and techniques
- Ability to lift, push, and pull up to 50 lbs.
- Knowledge of, and/or experience within the food and beverage industry is a plus
- Must be confident working in the Microsoft Office Suite, and both Shopify and Square POS systems; ideally Adobe Suite as well
- Salary commensurate with experience
- Benefits include health, dental, & vision insurance [eligible following probationary period], Paid Time Off, and paid company holidays
To apply: Please send your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org by January 25, 2019, with your first name, last name and the job title in the subject line. Example: Jane Doe – Retail & Events Manager (Portland, OR)