At Jacobsen Salt Co. we craft top-shelf cooking ingredients, re-envision classic products and recipes, and provide unforgettable culinary experiences every day. Founded in 2011 as the first saltworks in the Pacific Northwest since the 1800s, we have grown from a local, small business to a nationally recognized brand as America’s leading salt maker and purveyor of quality pantry staples.
Jacobsen Salt Co. seeks a full-time (40 hour/week) Salt Production Associate who is self-motivated and eager to learn an artisanal skill. This is a physical, hands-on position that contributes to the entirety of the salt production process, from pumping salt water to monitoring brine evaporation to the final harvesting of our salt. A keen eye for detail is a must, as essential duties include accurate record keeping and achieving high product quality standards.
Location: Netarts Bay, OR
Primary functions include:
- Pump salt water, monitor brine evaporation, and harvest wet salt with accuracy and efficiency; maintain productivity throughout the course of a shift and encourage cohorts to do the same
- Closely follow and improve on existing fill and record keeping processes
- Maintain regular and consistent data input to Pump, Boil, and Evaporator Logs; keep up a detailed cleaning schedule and log
- Rigorously uphold company, state, and federal quality control and food safety standards and requirements
- Ensure performance and functionality of all salt production tools and equipment (clean, lubricate, calibrate, etc.)
- Pack and load finished product for transport
- Maintain and enhance Quality Assurance/Quality Control practices and standards
- Communicate promptly, thoroughly, constructively, and consistently with both direct supervisor (Salt Production Lead or Coast Operations Manager) and all co-workers
- Identify inefficiencies and propose improvements (such as quality assurances, capacity, ease of use, etc.) to processes and equipment
- Assist Facility Manager with upkeep maintenance and regular improvements to facility grounds, property, and equipment
- Contribute to post-production and other duties and tasks as needed
The ideal candidate is:
- A high school graduate (or has a commensurate degree or certifications) with access to reliable transportation and a valid driver’s license
- Has some previous experience working in manufacturing or food production/preparation
- Able to work nights and/or weekends as needed
- A consummate professional both in the workplace and in the community; sees themselves as a Jacobsen brand ambassador and embodies our ideals of integrity and inclusivity
- An energetic, enthusiastic, and collaborative team player
- Trustworthy, with a strong work ethic and high moral standards
- Comfortable completing basic tasks on a computer, including navigating word processing, spreadsheets, and email
Essential physical functions:
- Fully capable of lifting 20-50 lbs (frequent) and 50-70 lbs (rarely)
- Able to stand for several hours at a time (position requires walking or standing for long periods)
Typical weekly schedule:
- Four days per week
- Overtime hours possible as necessitated by business operations; position requires occasional schedule flexibility
- This non-exempt position works out of Jacobsen’s production facility in Netarts, Oregon.
- Salt Production Lead
- Coast Operations Manager
Starting hourly rate for this position is $16.50/hour. Benefits include paid time off and paid company holidays, as well as eligibility for health/dental/vision benefits and 401(k).
Jacobsen Salt Co. is an equal opportunity employer. We believe in the value that diversity brings to an organization.
As a community, we are committed to creating a workplace where learning is a key principle. We look for collaborative and resourceful team players who believe in our mission to inspire people to cook, eat, and live well.
Please send your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with your first and last name, and job title in the subject line. Example: Jane Doe – Salt Production Associate. This listing will remain open until filled.