Roasted Beet Salad with Jacobsen Pinot Noir Salt
Our Pinot Noir Salt's notes of vanilla and sweet red fruit combine with it's earthy tones to perfectly finish dishes like braised beef, chicken liver mousse, pasta with marinara, summer berries with burrata, or these roasted beets.
INGREDIENTS FOR BEETS:
2lb small or medium red beets
1/4 c quality olive oil
2 tsp pure kosher salt
1⁄2 c pinot noir
1 c water
1 Tbsp black peppercorns, whole
2 bay leaves
2 sprigs of thyme
3 cloves garlic, crushed
2 Tbsp quality olive oil
1 Tbsp red wine vinegar
DIRECTIONS FOR BEETS:
- Preheat the oven to 375 F.
- Wash and trim 2lb of beets. Toss the beets with 1⁄4 c of olive oil and 2 tsp pure kosher salt.
- Place them in a roasting pan with 1⁄2 c pinot noir, 1 c water, 1 Tbsp of peppercorns, 2 bay leaves, 2 sprigs of thyme, and 3 cloves of garlic. Cover with foil and roast for about an hour (depending on the size) or until fork tender.
- Remove the beets from the pan. Strain and reserve any remaining pan liquid. Let them cool and then rub vigorously with a dry paper towel to remove the skins.
- Slice into wedges.
- Toss with strained roasting liquid and, remaining 2 Tbsp of olive oil and 1 Tbsp red wine vinegar.
INGREDIENTS FOR ROASTED RADICCHIO:
1 head radicchio, quartered
2 Tbsp olive oil
DIRECTIONS FOR RADICCHIO:
- Drizzle radicchio with 2 Tbsp of olive oil and broil until dark and crispy.
- Cool and cut into bite size chunks.
INGREDIENTS FOR SLAW:
1# raw beets, peeled and grated
1 tsp pure kosher salt
3 shallots, sliced thinly
1⁄4 c fresh grated horseradish
1⁄2 c sour cream
2 Tbsp red wine vinegar
DIRECTIONS FOR SLAW:
- Toss the grated beets with 1 tsp kosher salt and let sit to help draw out liquid.
- Combine shallots, horseradish, sour cream, and 2 Tbsp red wine vinegar.
- Fold the sour cream mixture into the grated beets.
1 Tbsp fresh thyme, picked
Jacobsen Pinot Noir Salt
- Spread the slaw onto a serving platter, top with roasted radicchio, then add roasted beets, fresh thyme, and sprinkle Jacobsen Pinot Noir Salt.