Holiday Surf 'n Turf, anyone? This decadent stuffing is a mashup of NY Times' Cornbread Stuffing and Delish's Chesapeake Bay Sausage and Crab Stuffing recipe.
Need a meat-free version? Swap out the meat with mushrooms and the chicken broth for vegetable broth.
Makes 8 to 10 servings
For the cornbread (makes two 9” pans):
- 2 cups yellow cornmeal, preferably organic stone ground
- 1 cup all purpose flour or whole wheat flour
- 1 ¼ teaspoons Jacobsen Salt Co. Pure Kosher Sea Salt
- 2 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 4 eggs
- 2 cups plain low-fat yogurt or buttermilk
- 1 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons Jacobsen Co. Raw Alfalfa Honey
- unsalted butter for greasing
For the stuffing + assembly:
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoons garlic
- 1/2 cup celery
- 1 yellow onion
- 1 red bell pepper
- ½ pound andouille or chorizo sausage
- 1 pound jumbo lump crabmeat
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup chicken broth
- ½ tablespoon Jacobsen Co. Seafood Seasoning, plus more to taste
- Chopped parsley for garnish
To make the cornbread:
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Grease two 9-inch square baking pans and set aside.
Combine cornmeal, flour, Pure Kosher Sea Salt, baking powder and baking soda in a medium bowl and whisk until thoroughly combined. In a separate large bowl, beat together the eggs, yogurt (or buttermilk), milk and Raw Honey. Whisk the cornmeal mixture into the liquid mixture. Do not overwork the batter.
Divide the batter between the two pans and bake for 35-40 min until golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Allow the bread to cool in the pan completely. Cornbread can be made up to 4 days in advance.
To make the stuffing:
Preheat oven to 350 F. Break up the cornbread into pieces of varying size and set aside. Grease a 9x13 casserole dish and set aside.
In a large skillet melt butter over medium high heat. Sauté garlic, celery, onion, and pepper until tender. Add sausage and crabmeat and continue to cook for 5 minutes, stirring gently so as to not break up the crabmeat.
Pour ingredients into crumbled cornbread and add the eggs, chicken broth, and seasoning, mix well. Add more broth if mixture looks too dry. Pour mixture into greased casserole dish and bake for 30 minutes. Garnish and serve immediately.